Follow the recipe and method for Caesar salad, and top it with scampi-style jumbo shrimp.
- 1 1/2 pounds jumbo shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon (1 turn around the pan) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 (a couple of pinches) teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup (a generous splash) dry white wine
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- A handful of chopped flat leaf parsley
- Coarse salt and black pepper
- Caesar Greens, recipe follows
Butterfly shrimp by splitting meat almost all the way through lengthwise. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium to medium high heat. Add oil and butter to pan and melt butter. Add crushed pepper, garlic, and shrimp. Saute shrimp until pink but not cooked through, 2 minutes, then add wine and let it almost evaporate out, another 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat and sprinkle shrimp with lemon juice and parsley then season with salt and pepper, to taste. Pile several shrimp on each plate of Caesar Greens and serve.
- 1 (2 ounce) tin anchovy, drained
- 4 large cloves garlic, cracked away from skins and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons (several drops) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup pasteurized cholesterol-free egg product, available on dairy aisle
- Coarsely ground black pepper, to your taste
- 1/2 cup (a couple of handfuls) grated Parmigiano
- 2 large heads romaine lettuce, trimmed to hearts and coarsely chopped
To make dressing, combine anchovies, garlic, and oil in a metal or heatproof glass bowl. Place bowl on grill top and cover grill. Cook oil mixture 2 or 3 minutes or until garlic is speaking by sizzling in oil. Remove dressing from heat and beat warm oil with a fork until the anchovies break up completely and dissipates in oil. Cooked anchovies melt away easily and the flavor changes from fishy to nutty. Transfer oil mixture to a large salad bowl. Add Worcestershire, lemon juice, egg, pepper, and cheese while beating with fork. Toss greens to coat with dressing.