Marinade and Steak:
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro or parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 fresh chile, such as Fresno or jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram or oregano
- 1/4 red onion, minced or grated
- 1 pound skirt steak
- Kosher salt and coarse black pepper
Barley Soup Base:
- 1 cup pearled barley
- 2 tablespoons EVOO, plus extra for drizzling
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 2 chile peppers, such as Fresno or jalepeno, seeded and chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 small bell pepper, finely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups beef stock
- One 32-ounce can stewed tomatoes
- A handful of fresh cilantro or parsley leaves, chopped
- Lime wedges, Worcestershire and hot sauce, to pass at table
For the marinade and steak: Combine the cilantro, Worcestershire, garlic, chiles, lime juice, marjoram and onions in a bag. Sprinkle the steak with salt and pepper and add to the bag. Release air and seal the bag, then refrigerate. Marinate up to 2 hours.
To prepare, bring the steak to room temp, heat a grill pan to medium-high, shake off excess marinade and cook the steak for a few minutes on each side. Thinly slice and set aside.
For the soup: Bring a pot of water to a boil, salt the water and cook the barley to tender, but al dente, about 20 minutes. Drain and drizzle with a touch of oil. Store in a plastic container until the night you serve the soup.
In a soup pot, heat the 2 tablespoons EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, celery, chile peppers, onions and bell peppers, and season with salt and pepper. Cook to soften the veggies, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the stock, tomatoes and cilantro, and simmer to combine the flavors, about 20 minutes. Cool, cover and store for a make-ahead meal.
To serve, heat the soup to a low boil. Add the barley and heat through. Serve the soup in shallow bowls and add the sliced skirt steak. Pass the lime wedges, Worcestershire and hot sauce for topping.