- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/3 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- About 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or made into a paste
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- About 1/2 cup EVOO
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1 small russet potato, peeled and diced into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/3 pound haricots verts, trimmed and cut into thirds
Place the basil, parsley, cheese, mint, pine nuts, thyme, garlic and lemon juice in a food processor and season with salt and pepper. Turn the processor on and add the EVOO in a slow stream, blending until a thick sauce forms. Transfer to a large bowl.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook for 6 minutes. Add the potatoes and cook for 1 more minute. Add the haricots verts and cook until the pasta is al dente, 2 to 3 more minutes. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking water and add it to the pesto. Drain the pasta, then add it to the bowl with the pesto and toss to coat.