My-oh-Mahi! That's a Good Fish Taco
- Total Time:
- 35 min
- 20 min
- 15 min
- 4 servings
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 small or medium red onion, 1/4 finely chopped, the remainder thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced or grated
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/3 palmful
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup mango chutney
- 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 3 tablespoons honey
- A handful of fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium head of red cabbage, shredded
- 4 mahi mahi fillets, 6 ounces each
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning, such as McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 8 corn tortilla taco shells (hard shell)
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1 cup creme fraiche
Heat a tablespoon of the oil in a skillet over medium heat and add the jalapeno, finely chopped red onion, and garlic. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, then add the beans and cumin and mash together. Season the beans with salt and pepper and fold in the chutney. Reduce the heat to low to keep warm, stirring now and then to keep them from burning. If the beans dry out before you are ready to use them add a splash of water.
Zest one of the limes and set aside. Combine the juice of both limes, the hot sauce, honey, 2 tablespoons of the canola oil, salt, and pepper with the sliced onions, cilantro and shredded cabbage. Toss to combine.
Heat an outdoor grill to medium or preheat the broiler. Season the fish with the remaining tablespoon of oil, 2 teaspoons of lime zest and the grill seasoning. Cook the fish on the grill with the lid closed or under the broiler for 8 minutes total, until cooked through, turning once.
Crisp the taco shells and blister the tortillas on the grill or in the oven. Glue the softened flour tortillas onto the crisp taco shells with a few spoonfuls of mashed black beans. Fill each tortilla-wrapped taco shell with half a piece of fish, flaked, and top with some cabbage slaw and creme fraiche. Serve 2 tortilla-wrapped tacos per person.
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray