One-Pot Creamy Ranch Chicken Succotash
- 2 large ears corn (when not available, substitute 1 cup frozen corn kernels, defrosted)
- 1 pound fava beans or broad beans (when not available, substitute 1 cup shelled frozen edamame or lima beans, defrosted)
- 8 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs or 4 skin-on, bone-in chicken breast halves, halved crosswise to make 8 pieces total
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 1/3 pound bacon, chopped
- 1 pound small potatoes, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 Fresno chile pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- About 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- About 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
- About 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or made into a paste
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- Toasted English muffins or warm sourdough bread, for serving
Cut off the corn kernels and scrape the juice from the cobs.
Fill a large bowl with ice water. Bring a few inches of water to a boil in a pot and season with salt. Add the fava beans and boil for 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer the fava beans to the ice bath to cool, then drain. Score the belly of the fava beans with a paring knife and remove the shells. (You should have about 1 cup.)
Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the EVOO in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, skin-side down, and cook until browned. Remove the chicken to a plate. Add the bacon to the pot and cook until crisp, then remove to a plate. Add the potatoes to the bacon drippings and lightly brown for a couple of minutes. Add the corn, onions and chile pepper and brown 8 to 10 more minutes. Stir in the chicken stock and tomatoes.
Return the chicken and bacon to the pot and simmer 10 minutes. Combine the cream cheese with the herbs and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Add the cream cheese mixture to the succotash and stir until well combined. Add the hot sauce.
Divide the chicken and succotash among shallow dishes. Serve with toasted English muffins or warm sourdough bread.
Cook's Note: If you are not serving the dish immediately, cool and then cover and store in the refrigerator. Reheat over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.