Orange and Almond Salad
- 2 hearts romaine lettuce, chopped
- 3 navel oranges
- 2 ounces, 1/4 cup, sliced almonds or slivered almonds, available on the baking aisle, toasted
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon, 2 or 3 sprigs
- Splash orange juice
- 2 rounded teaspoons honey
- 2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard, a couple of pinches
- 1/3 cup olive oil, eye ball it
- Salt and pepper
Arrange chopped lettuce on a platter. Trim a thin slice of orange skin down to the flesh off the top and bottom of the orange. Stand the orange upright and trim off strips of the remaining peel working from top to bottom around the orange. Cut each orange then in 1/2 lengthwise. Slice the 1/2 oranges into 1/2 moon shapes. Arrange the sliced oranges around the chopped romaine. Lightly toast the almonds in a small skillet over moderate heat or in a toaster or conventional oven. Top the romaine and oranges with toasted almonds and chopped tarragon.
In a small bowl, combine honey, vinegar, orange juice and mustard with a whisk. Stream in the oil while continuing to whisk the dressing to combine it. Pour the dressing evenly over the entire salad platter in a slow, thin stream. Season the salad with salt and pepper. The salad is pretty as is, no tossing.
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray
Recipe courtesy of Michael Chiarello