Orange Scented Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks or thin slices
- 1 tablespoon oil, extra-virgin olive oil or vegetable oil
- 2 slices smoky bacon, finely chopped
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- Chicken stock, as needed
- 1 teaspoon coriander, 1/3 palmful
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/3 palmful
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- A few dashes hot sauce, to taste
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
Put the potatoes in a medium pot, cover with water, salt the water and bring to boil over medium heat. Cook until tender, then drain and return the potatoes to the pot. Heat a little oil over medium heat, in a medium saute pan and add the bacon and cook until it begins to crisp. Stir in the orange zest and juice and the potatoes. Mash to desired consistency with some chicken stock to thin the potatoes, if desired. Stir in the coriander, cumin, cinnamon and hot sauce. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray