Penne-Wise Pumpkin Pasta
- 1 pound whole-wheat penne
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, to taste
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 2 pinches ground cinnamon
- Salt and black pepper
- 7 to 8 leaves fresh sage, thinly sliced plus more, for garnish
- Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
Heat water for pasta, salt it and cook penne to al dente.
Heat the oil, 2 turns of the pan, over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic to the pan, saute 3 minutes. Stir in chicken stock and combine with pumpkin, stir in cream then season sauce with hot sauce, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer 5 to 6 minutes more to thicken. Stir in sage, toss with pasta with grated cheese, to taste.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray, 2007
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray