Pico de Gallo Pilaf
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup orzo pasta
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 4 plum tomatoes, halved, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 small onion, red or white, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- A handful cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
Heat the extra-virgin olive oil in a sauce pot over medium heat. Add the orzo and toast until deep golden. Stir in the rice and broth and bring to boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and simmer for 17 to 18 minutes.
In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, onions, jalapeno, cilantro, and lime zest and juice. Season with salt, to taste.
When rice is cooked, fluff with fork and stir in the salsa. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve.
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray