- 1 (3-ounce) jar pine nuts, 1/3 cup
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup arugula leaves
- 2 cloves cracked garlic
- 3/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, 4 handfuls
- Salt and pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, eyeball it
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, eyeball it
- 3 thin cut (3/4-inch) New York strip steaks
- Coarse salt and black pepper
- 1 tall jar, 18 to 20 ounces, roasted red peppers, well drained, about 3 peppers
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Metal skewers
Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
Toast pine nuts in a small pan over medium heat until golden. Place spinach, arugula, garlic, cheese, 2 pinches salt, a few grinds black pepper, nutmeg, and toasted nuts in a food processor. Pulse grind the filling into a paste. Taste and adjust seasonings. Remove 1/2 cup of filling paste to a bowl and stir in extra-virgin olive oil to loosen it. Reserve remaining filling in processor bowl.
Place steaks between layers of waxed paper several inches apart. Pound steaks with a heavy bottomed pan to 1/2 their thickness. Season each steak with salt and pepper on both sides. Cover each steak with a thin layer of filling and top with roasted red peppers. Roll steaks tightly and cut each steak in 1/2 across. Secure pinwheels with a carefully placed skewer and set 6 pinwheels on a baking sheet. Drizzle with extra-virgin oil and roast 12 to 15 minutes. Remove skewers and transfer pinwheels to dinner plates. Top each with a generous portion of reserved sauce made from filling and extra-virgin olive oil, combined.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.