This recipe for an onion, anchovy and olive dip served with toasted pita wedges is a knockoff of a French classic, Pissaladiere, a Nicoise-style caramelized onion tart.
- 2 large, sweet onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 to 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme or poultry seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tin flat fillets anchovies, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted black olives -- your favorite variety
- 10 ounces garlic and herb cheese (recommended: Boursin), 2 (5-ounce) containers
- Chopped fresh chopped chives, for garnish
- 2 bags store bought pita chips, available on snack aisle, any brand or flavor
Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
Toss onions with extra-virgin olive oil, thyme, salt and pepper. Combine with anchovies and roast 20 minutes, turning once. Transfer onions to a processor.
Process the onions with olives and cheese until smooth. Adjust seasonings and transfer mixture to a bowl and garnish with lots of chopped chives. Surround dip with pita chips.