Poached Chicken and Vegetables with Couscous
- 8 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast (4 are for Portuguese Chicken recipe)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced diagonally into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 ribs celery, cut into 2-inch pieces on an angle
- 1 small to medium onion, cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup instant couscous
- 10 blades chives, snipped or chopped, garnish
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
Season chicken breasts with salt and arrange in a deep, large skillet. Cover chicken with vegetables. Add bay leaf, thyme sprigs, and chicken stock to the pan. Place over high heat and bring to a boil, covered. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Remove bay and thyme sprigs. Remove the chicken breasts and cut into slices. Return chicken slices to the pan and adjust seasoning, to your taste. Put the couscous into a heatproof serving bowl. Ladle 1 1/2 cups of the hot cooking liquid over the couscous, cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Remove the lid, season the couscous with salt, and fluff with a fork. Put a scoop of couscous into a serving bowl, top with chicken chunks and vegetables. Cover meat and vegetables with some broth. Garnish each serving with chives and parsley.
Refrigerate or freeze the whole breast pieces for Portuguese Chicken.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.