Poached Eggs in Chorizo-Tomato Stew with Garlic Croutons
This recipe can be adapted to serve 6 to 8 by simply bumping up the bread, eggs and broth used. Add on 1 slice of bread and 1 egg preserving[ and 1 cup of broth per 2 additional servings.]
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan plus some for drizzling
- 3/4 pound chorizo sausage, in packaged meats case near kielbasa, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, 2 chopped and 1 crushed
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 6 medium size red potatoes, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 1 (28-ounce) can fire roasted diced tomatoes (recommended: Muir Glen)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 thick slices crusty farm house, country style bread
- 1/2 cup flat- leaf parsley leaves, a few large handfuls, picked
- 1 lemon, zest
- 1 orange, zest
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar, eyeball it
- 4 eggs, 1 per serving
Preheat a medium soup pot over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of olive oil, about 2 tablespoons. Add the chorizo and cook, stirring frequently, 3 minutes. Add the 2 cloves chopped garlic, onion, celery, carrot, potatoes, thyme, salt and pepper, cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and chicken broth and bring up to a bubble, turn the heat down to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
Fill a medium skillet with warm water. Bring water to a gentle simmer over medium low heat. As the water is coming up to a simmer proceed with making the garlic croutons and the zesty parsley sprinkle.
Toast the bread in the broiler or in a toaster oven. Once the bread is toasted, rub with the cracked garlic and then drizzle extra-virgin olive oil over it and reserve.
Pile the parsley leaves, lemon zest and orange zest on a cutting board. Run your knife through the pile until the parsley is finely chopped and the zests are completely incorporated into the parsley, reserve.
Once the water is at a bubble for poaching the eggs, pour the vinegar into the simmering water. Crack an egg into a small bowl. Gently pour the egg into the simmering water. Repeat with the remaining 3 eggs. Cook eggs for about 2 minutes for runny yolks, or about 4 for solid yolks. Do not allow the water to boil. Carefully remove the eggs with a slotted spoon to a towel-lined plate to drain.
To serve, pull thyme stems from chorizo-tomato stew, then arrange the garlic croutons in the bottom of 4 shallow soup bowls, ladle some of the stew on top of the garlic croutons, set eggs in place and sprinkle dish with zesty parsley sprinkle and serve.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.