Pork Chops Pizzaiola
- 4 (1 1/2-inch thick) bone-in pork chops
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano, leaves chopped, or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
Season chops with salt and pepper. Heat the extra-virgin olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the crushed garlic and stir it around to flavor the oil. Add in the chops and caramelize on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove the chops to a plate and reserve. Stir in the fennel seed, onions, red pepper flakes, and oregano. Reduce the heat and cook for 7 to 8 minutes.
Add the tomato paste, and cook for 1 minute, then add the wine, and cook for another minute. Stir in the stock and combine well. Slide the chops back into the pan, cover and simmer to finish cooking the chops, about 5 to 6 minutes. Arrange the chops and sauce on a serving platter and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse