Puttanesca Tomato Salad with Fried Capers
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 jar capote (large) capers, drained well and patted dry
- 1 clove garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 6 plum tomatoes, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 small red onion or 1/2 medium, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- A handful pitted good quality black olives
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, for seasoning
Heat 1/4 cup oil in small pan over medium-high heat. Add capers but be careful, they will spatter. Fry the capers 1 1/2 to 2 minutes until golden, drain on paper towels.
Combine remaining 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil with garlic and anchovy paste. Add tomatoes, onion, parsley and olives. Season with red pepper flakes and salt and pepper. Garnish with capers and serve.
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray, 2008
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen