Puttanesca Tomato Salad with Fried Capers
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 jar capote (large) capers, drained well and patted dry
- 1 clove garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 6 plum tomatoes, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 small red onion or 1/2 medium, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- A handful pitted good quality black olives
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, for seasoning
Heat 1/4 cup oil in small pan over medium-high heat. Add capers but be careful, they will spatter. Fry the capers 1 1/2 to 2 minutes until golden, drain on paper towels.
Combine remaining 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil with garlic and anchovy paste. Add tomatoes, onion, parsley and olives. Season with red pepper flakes and salt and pepper. Garnish with capers and serve.