Many brands of prepared hummus offer a roasted red pepper variety but taking 5 minutes to dress up a plain or a forty spice hummus will result in a much richer dip, bright in color with the added amount of red peppers you are using and bright in flavor with a little extra lemon juice and garlic.
- 1 (14 to 18 ounce) jar roasted red pepper, drained
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, cracked from skin
- 1 1/2 cups prepared hummus spread (recommended: Tribe of Two Sheiks 40 Spice Hummus
- Chopped parsley leaves, for garnish
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, for garnish
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 20 carrot sticks, available already cut in the supermarket
- 1/3 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into sticks
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 1/2 pint grape tomatoes
Coarsely chop peppers and place them in a food processor with lemon juice and a clove of garlic. Pulse grind the peppers to get them going, then scrape in the prepared hummus and process until dip is smooth and evenly red in color. Transfer dip to a bowl and garnish with parsley and crushed pepper flakes. Serve with vegetables.