- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage links brushed with extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn around the pan
- 1 slice bacon, chopped
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 boneless 8 ounce pork loin chop, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme or poultry seasoning
- Coarse salt and black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes in puree
- 2 cans cannellini beans, drained
- 1/2 loaf crusty baguette, split lengthwise
- 1 clove garlic, cracked, for garnish
- A drizzle extra-virgin olive oil
Preheat broiler to high. Place sausages on a broiler pan and cook 6 inches from heat source 15 minutes turning once.
Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn around the pan, and chopped bacon. Cook bacon 1 minute, then add chicken and pork and brown cubes on all sides, 3 minutes. Season meats with thyme, salt, and pepper, and add garlic, vegetables, and bay leaf to the pot. Cook 5 minutes stirring occasionally, then deglaze pan with the wine.
Slice sausages on an angle and add pieces to the pot on the stove. Stir in tomatoes and beans and heat them through. Adjust seasonings and remove pan from heat.
Broil the split baguette until golden. Rub bread with cracked garlic and drizzle with oil. Coarsely chop bread and scatter the chunks around the edge of the pan. Serve the cassoulet directly from the hot pot at the table.