Salmon Cakes Salad
- 2 (14-ounce) cans salmon with bones, drained
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 1/3 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose seasoning (recommended: Old Bay)
- A few drops hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco)
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 to 4 tablespoons chopped roasted red pepper - 1/2 pepper from a jar, drained, then chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, 1 turn of the pan
- 1 head frissee lettuce, coarsely chopped
- 1 endive, sliced
- 1 romaine heart, chopped
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves, from bulk bins of market, just over 1/4 pound
- 1 navel orange, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, eyeball it
- Salt and pepper
- Rosemary and Ham Scones, recipe follows
Heat a medium skillet over medium high heat.
Add vegetable oil to hot pan, 1 turn of the pan. Add patties and cook about 3 minutes on each side until golden brown and cooked through.
Combine greens, chopped orange and red onion in a salad bowl. Combine orange zest, vinegar and a splash of juice from the zested orange in a small bowl. Whisk in extra-virgin olive oil to desired bite and constituency for dressing. Dress and toss salad. Season the salad with salt and pepper, to taste then divide among 4 plates. Top salads with warm salmon cakes and serve with Ham and Rosemary Scones or warm pumpernickel bread and butter, as a close-second choice.Rosemary and Ham Scones:
1 box biscuit mix (recommended: Jiffy)
3 tablespoons finely chopped rosemary, 4 small stems
1/2 cup cream
A couple pinches salt
3 pieces deli-sliced glazed smoked ham, chopped, about 1/8 pound
1 tablespoon orange zest
2 teaspoons sugar
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Mix together biscuit mix, rosemary, cream, salt, ham and orange zest. Pile mixture into 4 large mounds or 8 small mounds onto a nonstick cookie sheet. Sprinkle with a little sugar and bake. Bake scones for 10 to 12 minutes for large scones, 7 to 8 minutes for small scones.
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 5 to 10 minutes
Cook Time: 7 to 12 minutesInactive Prep Time:
Ease of preparation: easy
Thank you! your flag was submitted.