San Fran-Caesar with Sour Dough Croutons
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, eyeball it
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups cubed sourdough bread
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- Salad and Dressing:
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, eyeball it
- 2 large hearts Romaine lettuce, chopped, 7 to 8 cups
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan
- Salt and coarse black pepper
- Anchovies, optional garnish
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Heat garlic and oil over low heat and melt butter into the oil. Place the bread in a large bowl and toss with garlic oil and butter. Season with pepper, Parmesan and thyme. Spread croutons evenly on a baking sheet and bake until crisp and golden, 15 minutes.
In the bowl you made the croutons in, combine garlic, lemon juice, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce and mustard. Whisk in extra-virgin olive oil while mixing the dressing.
Remove croutons and let cool. When you are ready to serve, add lettuce to the dressing in the bowl and toss to coat evenly. Add cheese, salt and pepper, croutons. Toss again. Adjust seasonings and serve, with or without anchovies.
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray
Recipe courtesy of Mario Batali