- 12 ounces andouille sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup tomato puree or tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce, such as Frank's Red Hot
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire
- Portuguese or sesame rolls
- Chopped hot pickled vegetables (giardiniera)
- Chopped sweet bread and butter pickles
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
Remove the casing from the sausage and chop.
Heat the oil in a deep skillet over medium-high heat, add the sausage and brown. Remove to a plate. Add the pork and brown. Then add the thyme, garlic, celery, onions, peppers and some salt and pepper. Cook, partially covered, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the andouille, tomato sauce, stock, hot sauce, sugar, vinegar and Worcestershire. Reduce the heat, stir and simmer to thicken. Cool and store for a make-ahead meal. Reheat over medium heat. Serve on warm rolls with the toppings of your choice.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray