Smoked Turkey Baked Chimichangas
- 1 pound thickly sliced smoked turkey from deli counter, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 cups shredded slaw cabbage, available in produce department
- 1 to 2 chipotles in adobo sauce, available with Mexican and Spanish foods in market -- use 1 for moderate heat, 2 for extra hot chimichangas
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3 scallions, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 4 (12-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups, 6 ounces, shredded sharp cheddar, smoked white cheddar or Pepper Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves or flat-leaf parsley
- 1 vine ripe orange or yellow tomato, seeded and finely chopped
Preheat your toaster oven to 400 degrees F or high.
Place turkey in a bowl and season with chili powder. Add shredded cabbage, chipotles in adobo, tomato sauce, scallions. Toss filling to combine and season with salt and pepper. Place tortillas in a kitchen towel and set in microwave. Microwave on high for 1 minute. To build, place a generous handful of cheese near one edge of the tortilla. Pile 1/4 of your filling in the tortilla. Tuck sides up and roll tortilla tightly. Repeat to make 4 large stuffed tortilla wraps. Brush the toaster oven baking tray with vegetable or olive oil. Brush the wraps with oil and bake until deep golden all over, 15 to 17 minutes. Top with sour cream, cilantro or parsley and chopped orange or yellow tomato, as garnishes.