Soft Shell Crab Sandwich
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup beer
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 soft shell crabs, cleaned
- 4 sandwich buns, toasted
- Tartar Sauce, for serving, recipe follows
- Sliced tomato, for serving
- Lettuce leaves, for serving
- Tartar Sauce:
- 8 ounces mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons horseradish, drained
- 1 cup sweet pickles, chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
Heat about 3 inches of oil in a saucepan to about 400 degrees F.
In a medium bowl, mix eggs, milk and beer until creamy. Put flour in a separate bowl. Dip soft shell crabs into wet batter and then dip into flour. Drop battered crab into hot oil. Fry crab for 3 minutes on each side or until golden. Serve on buns, with tartar sauce, tomato and lettuce.Tartar Sauce:
Mix mayonnaise, horseradish, pickles, salt and pepper together in a small bowl. Add lemon juice. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Yield: about 3 cups
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy of Coop de Ville