Southwestern Stuffed Peppers
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 long mild chile peppers, red or green, cubanelle Italian peppers may be substituted
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup mild or medium prepared taco sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves or flat leaf parsley, for garnish
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced, for garnish
Preheat a grill pan over high heat.
Bring 2 cups vegetable broth and butter to a boil in a small covered pot. Add rice, reduce heat to low and cook 18 to 20 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
Split peppers lengthwise and remove seeds, leaving stems in tact. Grill peppers on hot grill pan for 3 to 5 minutes on each side. Remove from grill and let cool enough to handle.
To a medium skillet over moderate heat, add 1 tablespoon oil and onion. Saute onion 2 or 3 minutes. Add cooked rice to the pan and stir in peas and taco sauce. Season rice with salt and pepper.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray