- 1 pizza dough, refrigerated or from your favorite pizzeria
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan, plus some for drizzling
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, lightly crushed in the palm
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey breast
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning, a palm full (recommended: Montreal Steak Seasoning by McCormick)
- 2 (10-ounce) boxes, frozen spinach, defrosted
- 1 cup feta crumbles
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese or shredded provolone
- 2 jars roasted red peppers, drained
- 1/4 cup (10 to 12) pitted kalamata olives
- 1 cup arugula, coarsely chopped or shredded or 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/3 seedless cucumber, thinly sliced lengthwise
- Hot pepper rings or pepperoncini, optional
Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
Stretch out your dough on to a pizza stone or into a pizza pan. Pierce the dough with a fork, drizzle the dough with a touch of extra-virgin olive oil and sprinkle it with oregano. Bake dough 10 minutes.
While the pizza dough bakes, heat a tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil (1 turn of the pan) in a large nonstick skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add butter to the warm oil, then the chicken or turkey. Lightly brown the meat 3 to 4 minutes, then add the chopped red onion, garlic and grill seasoning and cook 5 minutes more. Wring the defrosted spinach dry by twisting it in a clean kitchen towel over your sink. Add it to the meat, separating it with your fingers. Add in feta crumbles.
Once the pizza has cooked 10 minutes, remove dough and top evenly with meat and spinach mixture. Cover the pizza with shredded mozzarella or provolone, roasted peppers and olives. Bake pizza another 13 to 15 minutes until cheese is bubbly and crust is crisp.
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray