Spanish Chicken Stew with Manchego Polenta
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into chunks
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika or smoked paprika
- 1/2 pound Spanish chorizo, sliced
- 1 large onion, quartered then thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup white or red Rioja wine
- 1 (28-ounce) can stewed tomatoes, lightly drained
- 1/2 cup sliced piquillo peppers, or chopped pimientos
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup quick-cooking polenta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup grated Manchego cheese
Heat the extra-virgin olive oil in a cast iron skillet or large pan over medium heat. Season the chicken thighs with salt, pepper, to taste, and the paprika. Brown the chicken for a couple minutes on each side, then add the chorizo and brown for a couple minutes. Add the onions and garlic and cook for 5 minutes more. Stir in the wine to deglaze the pan, then add the tomatoes, peppers and parsley. Reduce the heat to a simmer.
In a medium pot, bring the stock to a boil over high heat. Slowly add the polenta and whisk until thickened, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the butter and cheese, then spoon the polenta into shallow bowls and make a well in the center. Fill the polenta-lined bowls with the stew and serve.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.