Spanish Style Chicken and Dumplings
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 pinches saffron
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 pound chorizo, casings remove and chopped or crumbled
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breast tenders, diced
- 3/4 pound medium to large white mushrooms, quartered
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 rounded tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1 small box biscuit mix or mix to prepare 8 drop biscuits, prepared to package directions, (recommended: Jiffy)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon paprika
In a small sauce pot combine the stock and saffron, bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer to allow the saffron to steep.
In a large deep skillet with a lid or a Dutch oven heat extra-virgin olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo and render and brown for 2 minutes, then add the chicken and lightly brown. Stir in the mushrooms, onions and garlic as you chop them and add the bay leaves, salt and pepper, to taste, and thyme. Put a lid on the pot and increase the heat to high for 5 minutes to soften the vegetables. Stir in the flour, add the sherry and stir a minute more, then add the saffron broth.
While vegetables soften, put the biscuit mix in a bowl and stir in the parsley and paprika. Add the liquids to package directions for the biscuits.
Drop 8 small mounds of biscuit dough onto the surface of the chicken and sauce. Cover with tight fitting lid and cook for 5 to 6 minutes.
Ladle into shallow serving bowls and serve.
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray