- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, 1/3 handful
- 1/4 cup golden raisins, 2 handfuls
- 2 tablespoons currants, 1 handful
- 1 teaspoon lemon or orange zest (from about 1/2 of the fruit)
- 1 1/2 cups enriched white rice
- 2 blades fresh chives, chopped
- 1 (3-ounce) bag sliced almonds, lightly toasted or 3 ounces smoked almonds
Bring water to a boil in a covered saucepan. Add butter, cumin, raisins, currants, zest, and rice. Stir the rice and return to a rolling boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat and add chives. Fluff rice with fork and transfer to a serving dish. Cover rice liberally with toasted sliced almonds or smoked almonds.
Yield: Preparation time: none Cooking time: 20 minutes Ease of preparation: easy
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray