- 1 pound vermicelli
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into small bits
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, eyeball it, medium to spicy heat level
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup dry sherry or Marsala
- 8 ounces, drained weight, lump crabmeat, shredded
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed San Marzano tomatoes
- 1/4 cup half-and-half or cream, eyeball it
- Shredded Romano or Parmigiano, your pick, optional
- 10 to 12 basil leaves, shredded
Place a large pot of water on to boil. Add pasta and salt water. Cook to al dente.
While water comes to a boil, heat a deep skillet over medium heat. Add extra-virgin olive oil and butter. To warm oil and butter add crushed red pepper flakes, garlic and shallots, saute 3 minutes, add shiitake mushrooms and cook until tender, 3 to 4 minutes more. Deglaze the pan with sherry or Marsala wine, scatter in crabmeat - feeling for shell bits as you go. Warm the ingredients through, a minute or so, stir in tomatoes and heat through, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in half-and-half or cream and reduce heat to lowest setting.
Drain pasta when cooked to al dente and toss with sauce and crab. Top with cheese, if using, and basil.