Spicy Hummus: Quick Chickpea Spread
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
- 2 rounded tablespoons tahini sesame paste, found in both dairy and dry specialty foods sections
- A drizzle extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon (1/3 palm full) ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon (1/3 palm full) ground coriander
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Coarse salt
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Pita breads, grilled and cut into wedges for dipping
Combine beans, tahini, oil, pepper flakes, cumin, coriander, garlic, salt, and lemon juice in food processor bowl and grind into a smooth paste. Transfer to a small dip dish and surround spread with warm pita wedges. This recipe makes a great appetizer, or anytime snack.
Tidbit: this is a fantastic dish to take to a pot luck or block party -- it's always a hit!
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray