- 1 1/2 pounds small Yukon gold potatoes, halved
- Pinch saffron
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 red chile pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small bunch thin scallions, chopped or sliced on an angle
- 1 teaspoon each mustard seeds, cumin and coriander
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium heat. Add the potatoes and cook until tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
Meanwhile add saffron and turmeric to small pot with chicken stock and bring to a boil, over medium heat. Reduce the heat and simmer to reduce the stock by half, about 10 minutes.
While the stock reduces, toast the seeds, over medium-low heat, in a small skillet until fragrant, about 2 minutes. (Cook's Note: I use seeds or cumin and coriander because I keep them on hand for marinades. You can substitute 1/2 teaspoon ground spice of each if you prefer.)
Drain the potatoes well and add them to the bowl with the peas. Pour in the stock while the potatoes are hot. Sprinkle with the seeds and dress with the lemon juice and extra-virgin olive oil, 3 turns of the bowl. Toss to combine, season with salt, to taste, and serve.