Spicy Shrimp and Bok Choy Noodle Bowl
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, 3 turns of the pan
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 inches ginger root, peeled and cut into very thin matchsticks or grated
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushroom caps, sliced, a couple of cups
- 1 medium bok choy, trimmed and cut into 3-inch pieces, then cut sticks lengthwise
- Salt and pepper
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 cup seafood stock, available on soup aisle or, 1 cup clam juice
- 1 1/2 pounds medium peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1/2 pound vermicelli (thin spaghetti)
- 4 scallions, cut into 3 inch pieces, then shredded lengthwise into thin sticks
Heat a medium soup pot over medium-high heat. Add vegetable oil, 3 turns of the pan, crushed red pepper flakes, garlic, ginger, mushrooms, and bok choy, then season with salt and pepper. Add chicken broth and seafood stock or clam juice. Put a lid on the pot and bring soup to a boil.
Add shrimp and noodles and cook 3 minutes. Add in scallions and cook 2 minutes, then turn off soup and let it sit 2 to 3 minutes more. Adjust salt and serve.
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray