- 12 corn or flour tortillas, cut into strips
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 slices smoky lean bacon, sliced across the strips 1/2-inch long
- 1 red onion, peeled, quartered and sliced
- 2 Fresno or jalapeno chiles, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (28-ounce) can black beans
- 1 tablespoon cumin (a scant palmful)
- 1 rounded tablespoon chile powder (a healthy palmful)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup beer (recommended: Negra Modelo)
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- Small handful fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups shredded hot pepper sharp Cheddar cheese or Pepper Jack cheese
- 4 eggs, to prepare any style (1 per person)
- Ripe avocado, halved, pitted and diced
- Lime, cut into wedges
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Heat a skillet over medium-high heat with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Add bacon and brown then remove with a slotted spoon. To the skillet, add the onions, Fresno peppers, and garlic and saute a few minutes.
Add the beans and season with cumin, chile powder, salt, and pepper, stir in tomatoes, cilantro, and beer. Thicken 1 minute, then adjust seasoning and arrange on top of tortillas, and scatter in bacon bits and cheese.
Cool and store for make-ahead meal.
Bake in the hot oven until bubbly and hot, top with fried eggs (as soft or hard as you like), diced avocado and lime wedges.