The T2: Turkey Chili-Topped Turkey Chili Burgers with Red Pepper Slaw and Funky Fries
- 1 (16 to 20 ounce) sack extra-crispy style frozen potato fries
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons grill seasoning (recommended: McCormick Montreal Seasoning)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, divided
- 2 to 2 1/4 pounds ground turkey breast, 2 packages
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, eyeball it
- 1 cup tomato sauce, 1 (8-ounce) can
- 3 red bell peppers, 1/4 of 1 pepper finely chopped, remaining peppers thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, divided
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce, divided
- 1/3 pound, 6-ounce chunk, Cheddar or smoked Cheddar cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar, eyeball it
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cups shredded red cabbage, 1 sack, available in produce department
- Coarse black pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup curly parsley, a couple of handfuls of leaves, finely chopped
- 4 soft burger rolls
Preheat oven to the temperature listed on the sack of fries.
Preheat a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Combine chili powder, cumin and grill seasoning in a small bowl. Add a tablespoon of vegetable oil, 1 turn of the pan, to a skillet and half of the turkey. Break up the turkey with the back of a wooded spoon. Season the turkey with half of the spice mixture. Break up and brown turkey a couple of minutes, then add half of the finely chopped onion and cook another couple of minutes. When onions are translucent, add Worcestershire sauce and tomato sauce, adjust seasonings and simmer the chili sauce over low heat until ready to serve.
While chili sauce is working, make the burgers. Place the remaining turkey in a bowl and add the remaining spice mixture, half of the remaining chopped onions, the 1/4 red bell pepper that's chopped, 2 cloves of chopped garlic and about a tablespoon of hot sauce. Combine the chili burger mixture and incorporate the diced cheese. Form 4 (1-inch thick) patties. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add a tablespoon of vegetable oil, 1 turn of the pan, then the burgers. Cook the burgers 6 minutes on each side.
When you place the burgers in the pan, the timing is right to add the fries to the preheated oven.
While everything is moving forward, throw together the slaw salad. In the bottom of a medium bowl, combine 1 tablespoon hot sauce just eyeball it, with about 3 tablespoons vinegar, 1 tablespoon sugar and 1 teaspoon salt. Add the red pepper strips, red onion and red cabbage to the bowl and toss to combine. Add some pepper, to taste.
Chop the last 2 cloves of garlic. Add about a teaspoon of salt to garlic and using the flat of your knife blade, mash the garlic and salt into paste. Place the paste in a small bowl with 3 tablespoons butter, cut into chunks. Melt the butter and paste together on high in the microwave 20 seconds or so. Remove the fries from the oven and toss with melted butter and lots of parsley and adjust seasoning to your taste.
Separate burger rolls. Pile chili-cheese burgers on the bun bottoms. Top with scoops of chili sauce and a spoonful of the remaining finely chopped raw onions. Set bun tops in place and serve the burgers with piles of red pepper slaw and funky fries.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.