- 3/4 cup wheat bulgur, available in rice section of your market
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 ripe lemons, juiced
- 1 cup parsley leaves, 1 bunch, chopped
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, 1/2 bunch, chopped
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the bowl in a slow stream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large vine ripe tomatoes or beefsteak tomatoes
In a bowl, cover bulgar with boiling water and stir. Cover the bowl place it in the refrigerator or counter top. Let the bulgar stand 20 minutes to soften. Add lemon juice, parsley, mint, scallions, plum tomato to the bulgar and toss to combine. Dress the salad with 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, salt and pepper, to your taste.
To serve, cut tomatoes into quarters, but do not allow the knife to go all the way through the tomato. Section the tomatoes, but leave the skin in tact on the bottom. Open the tomato up to resemble an open flower. Season the tomatos with salt and pepper and pile a generous amount of tabbouleh salad on top of the tomato, allowing the salad to spill down and over the wedges of tomato on to the plate.