Turkey and Stuffing Casserole
- Turkey Filling:
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds ground turkey, at room temperature and patted dry
- About 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups turkey or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup organic frozen peas
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 3 to 4 ribs celery with leafy tops, chopped
- 2 small apples, such as Macintosh or Honeycrisp, chopped
- 1 large fresh bay leaf
- 1 onion, chopped
- About 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning, such as Rachael Ray Perfect Poultry Seasoning
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper (if not included in the poultry seasoning blend)
- 1 bag traditional seasoned stuffing mix, such as Pepperidge Farm, or 5 cups cubed stale bread
- About 3 cups turkey or chicken stock
- Butter, for dotting casserole
For the turkey filling: Heat the EVOO in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat and melt in the butter. Add the turkey and cook, crumbling the meat, until browned. Season with the Worcestershire and some salt and pepper. Add the celery, carrots, onions, potatoes and thyme and cook, partially covered, to soften the vegetables, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute; add the stock and cook to thicken. Stir in the peas until warmed through. Transfer the mixture to a casserole dish.
For the stuffing: Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the butter. When melted, add the celery, apples, bay leaf and onions. Add the poultry seasoning and salt and pepper if using and cook until tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Add the stuffing mix and moisten with the stock. Arrange the stuffing on top of the turkey filling and dot with butter.
Cool and store for a make-ahead meal, or bake to serve immediately. If baking immediately, bake at 375 degrees F until brown, bubbly and crisp on top, 15 to 20 minutes. If baking later, bring to room temperature and bake at 375 degrees F until brown, bubbly and crisp on top, 40 to 45 minutes.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.