Vegetable Soup with Mixed Greens
- About 1/3 cup EVOO
- 6 anchovy fillets
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large chile pepper, seeded and chopped or 1 teaspoon dried flakes
- About 1/3 cup dry vermouth or 2 tablespoons white balsamic or white wine vinegar
- 2 starchy potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 to 4 small ribs celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 2 to 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- Black pepper
- 7 to 8 cups chopped greens such as escarole, kale or spinach
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup fresh flat leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped
- Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, to pass
- Bread, for serving
Heat the EVOO in large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the anchovies into the oil and stir until they melt away into the oil. Add the garlic and chiles, and stir for 2 minutes. Then add the vermouth. Add the potatoes, celery, carrots and onions, and cook partially covered 7 to 8 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and season with pepper. Wilt in the greens and season with a little nutmeg. Once the greens have wilted, add the chicken and vegetable stocks and bring to boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for a few minutes. Then season with salt, if necessary.
Cool completely and store in the refrigerator for a make-ahead meal.
To serve, reheat over medium heat and stir in the parsley. Serve with cheese and bread.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.