Whole-Wheat Skillet Lasagna and Escarole Salad
- 1 pound whole-wheat gemelli or cassarecci
- 5 to 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 pound pancetta, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin
- 1 bay leaf
- Ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 onion, grated
- 4 cloves garlic, grated
- 4 sprigs rosemary, leaves finely chopped
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 (28-ounce) can Italian tomatoes
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 ball smoked mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 2 heads escarole, cleaned and dried, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 2 lemons, juiced
Heat a pot of water for pasta, season with salt and cook pasta to al dente.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F or broiler.
While pasta water comes to a boil, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a high sided skillet over medium-high to high heat. When the oil smokes, add the pancetta, sirloin and bay leaf and caramelize the meat, 5 to 6 minutes, season with salt, pepper and allspice. Add grated vegetables and garlic, rosemary. Cook 7 to 8 minutes, stir in stock. Add tomatoes and break up with a spoon. Drain pasta and add to sauce then stir in ricotta. Top pasta with a layer of mozzarella and place in oven. Cook 5 minutes to melt and bubble mozzarella.
Dress the escarole and onions with the lemon juice and 3 to 4 tablespoons oil, season the salad with salt and pepper.
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray, 2007