- 1 large boneless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 pimiento peppers, finely chopped
- Small bunch celery leaves
- 1 small dasheen, boiled*
- 2 ounces smoked herring
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 ripe plantain, boiled and thinly sliced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Tomato Starfruit Sauce, recipe follows
*Dasheen is a leafy green similar to spinach. It can be found in specialty stores or spinach may be substituted.
Tenderize the chicken breast by pounding flat with a mallet. Sprinkle thyme, cilantro, and pimientos over chicken breast. Arrange celery on top of chicken.
In a food processor, combine boiled dasheen and smoked herring until well mixed. Spread mixture over chicken breast. Arrange red onions and plantain slices over top. Roll up chicken breast into a pinwheel shape and secure with toothpicks. Coat with beaten egg and roll in shredded coconut.
Heat 2 inches of oil in a large, heavy Dutch oven to 350 degrees F.
Fry chicken until golden brown and cooked through. Remove toothpicks before using. Cut into slices when cool and serve with Tomato-Starfruit sauce.
Tomato Starfruit Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 medium starfruit, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 chive, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 pimiento pepper, diced
- 2 ounces aged rum
- 2 dashes angostura bitters
Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add all ingredients, except rum and bitters, and saute for approximately 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add rum and bitters. Cook until reduced and thickened. Serve with Breast of Chicken Santa Rosa.
* Professional Recipe
This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.