Raspberry Tart May
- For crust:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water
- For filling:
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg, beaten lightly
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 cups raspberries, picked over
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Make crust: In a food processor blend together flour, sugar, and butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add 2 tablespoons water and toss until incorporated. Add enough remaining water if necessary until mixture begins to come together but is still crumbly. Refrigerate dough, wrapped in plastic for 1 hour.
Press crust evenly onto bottom and sides of an 11-inch tart pan with removable fluted rim. Prick the crust with a fork, line the dough with aluminum foil and weigh it down with pie weights or beans and bake in middle of oven until golden, about 30 minutes.
Pour the filling into the warm crust, spreading evenly, and bake in middle of oven until set, about 20 minutes. Cool the tart in its pan on a rack.
In a small saucepan heat jam with water over moderate heat, stirring, until melted and smooth. Remove pan from heat and cool jam slightly. Arrange raspberries decoratively on top of tart and brush gently with jam.
Recipe courtesy Gourmet Magazine