Real Texas Chili
- 3 lbs. chuck roast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 6 tablespoons ancho chili powder
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground cumin seeds
- 2 -3 cans (14.5 oz each) beef broth
- 2 small cans drained pinto beans (optional)
- Garnishes: sour cream and lime wedges
Brown beef in small amount of oil. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes. Add chili powder, flour, oregano, and cumin. Cook until meat is well coated. Slowly add 2 cans broth. Stir well.
Partially cover and allow to simmer 45 minutes. Stir occasionally. You may need to use all or part of last can of broth to reach desired consistency.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. If using the beans in the chili, add now. They may also be served on the side or omitted altogether. Partially cover and simmer 45 minutes more.
IMPORTANT: Cool and refrigerate overnight.
To serve: Heat chili. Ladle chili in bowl, squeeze lime juice on top and top with sour cream. Serve with hot San Francisco Sour Dough Bread.
Recipe courtesy of JoAnn Stivers of Yuba City, CA, for the FoodTV.com Manly Man Chili Cook-Off
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray