Red Beans and Rice
- 3 pounds red beans
- 2 quarts water, plus 2 cups
- 6 beef bouillon cubes
- 5 medium onions, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 cups chopped celery, including leaves
- 3 ham hocks tied in cheesecloth
- 4 ounces tomato sauce
- 6 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons plus 6 dashes hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 1 handful fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 pinches dried sage
- 3 pounds smoked sausage, sliced
- 4 to 6 cups cooked white or brown rice
Wash beans and put in 2 quarts of water in heavy stockpot. In a separate container, dissolve bouillon cubes in 2 cups of hot water and then add to beans. Place over low heat and cook for about 3 hours.
In a saute pan, combine onions, bell pepper, garlic, and celery. Saute until tender and add to the beans. Add the ham hocks, and tomato sauce.
If the beans have soaked up the water, add more to barely cover the beans. Add Worcestershire, hot sauce, horseradish, and parsley. Simmer over medium to high heat for 4 to 5 hours, adding water if necessary during cooking.
When beans are tender, add cumin, thyme, cayenne pepper, sage, salt, and 1 cup water. Allow to simmer for another 2 to 3 hours. 30 minutes prior to serving, add sausage.
Serve beans over rice.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results
Thank you! your flag was submitted.