Red Beans and Rice
- Ingredients for the red beans:
- 1 pound dry red kidney beans
- 8 ounces smoked pork or ham, diced
- 1 -ounce rendered pork fat
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- Red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- Dash hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Green onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
DirectionsIngredients for the green rice: For the Red Beans:
Soak beans overnight in cool water. In a large sauce pot, over medium heat, brown the pork in the pork fat. Add the celery, onion and bell peppers and let sweat until lightly brown. Season with salt and red pepper flakes. Stir in the tomato paste and garlic. Add the chicken stock and beans. Reduce heat to low and simmer until beans are tender and thick. Season with salt, to taste and stir in the hot sauce, vinegar and green onions.
For the green rice:
In a food processor add the herbs, oil and a pinch of salt. Add the rice and water to a rice cooker and season with salt, to taste. When cooked, fluff the rice and stir in the herb mixture.
Transfer the beans to a serving bowl or platter and serve with the green rice.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.