- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound diced ham
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup frozen chopped onions
- 1 cup frozen chopped green peppers
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green peppers, celery, and onion (recommended: Hunt's)
- 1 (14-ounce) jar pasta sauce
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 dashes hot sauce, or more if needed
- 1 1/2 cups converted long-grain rice (recommended: Uncle Ben's)
In a medium saucepot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add ham, celery, onions, and green peppers. Saute until celery is soft, about 5 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients and stir until rice is evenly distributed. Bring to boil. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed.
Recipe courtesy Sandra Lee, 2008