- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound diced ham
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup frozen chopped onions
- 1 cup frozen chopped green peppers
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green peppers, celery, and onion (recommended: Hunt's)
- 1 (14-ounce) jar pasta sauce
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 dashes hot sauce, or more if needed
- 1 1/2 cups converted long-grain rice (recommended: Uncle Ben's)
In a medium saucepot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add ham, celery, onions, and green peppers. Saute until celery is soft, about 5 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients and stir until rice is evenly distributed. Bring to boil. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed.
Recipe courtesy of Sandra Lee, 2008