- 4 pounds white button mushrooms
- 1 litre Burgundy wine (other dry red wines will work)
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dill seed
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- Crusty bread, for serving
Thoroughly wash the mushrooms and throw them into a large stockpot. Add the wine, boiling water, butter, Worcestershire sauce, dill seed, black pepper, beef and chicken bouillon cubes and garlic. Stir to combine.
Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 6 hours.
Remove the lid, and then continue cooking, uncovered, for 3 hours.
Add salt to taste at the end of the cooking process. The mushrooms will be very dark in color. Serve straight from the pot or spoon the mushrooms and cooking liquid into a serving bowl. Have crusty bread nearby to soak up the deliciousness.
Cook's Note: These are even more scrumptious the next day!
2011 Ree Drummond, All Rights Reserved