- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 3/4 cup quick oats
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons very finely minced onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Plenty of ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup ketchup
- 4 to 6 tablespoons minced onion
- 3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Dash of hot sauce, such as Tabasco
For the meatballs: In bowl, combine the ground beef and oats. Pour in the milk, and then add the onions, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Roll the mixture into tablespoon-size balls and refrigerate them for 30 to 45 minutes to firm.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat the canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Dredge the meatballs in the flour, and then brown the meatballs in batches until light brown. As they brown, place them into a rectangular baking dish.
For the sauce: Stir together the ketchup, onions, vinegar, sugar, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. Drizzle the sauce evenly on the meatballs.
Bake until bubbly and hot, about 45 minutes.
2011 Ree Drummond, All Rights Reserved