Mexican Rice Casserole
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 to 1 whole large onion, chopped
- 4 cups long grain rice
- Two 14.5-ounce cans whole tomatoes
- One 10-ounce can diced tomatoes and green chiles, such as Rotel
- 1 teaspoon cumin (or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 6 to 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth (more if needed)
- 1 1/2 cups grated Cheddar
- Fresh cilantro, chopped, for serving
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Heat the oil in a large dutch oven and add the garlic and onions. Cook, 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and add the rice. Stir constantly, making sure the rice doesn't burn. Cook over low heat, about 3 minutes.
Next, add the whole tomatoes, diced tomatoes, cumin, salt, pepper, cayenne and turmeric. Stir to combine and let cook, about 2 minutes. Finally, add the chicken broth and stir the mixture together. Bring the mixture to a boil, and then reduce heat to low. Cover, and simmer until the rice is not quite done, 10 to 15 minutes.
Top with the cheese, and then bake with the lid off until the cheese is melted and the rice fully cooked, about 15 minutes. Serve with chopped cilantro.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.