Restaurant August's BLT: Buster Crab, Lettuce, and Tomato Sandwich
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 buster crabs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 cups red, yellow, and green grape tomatoes, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon 25-year-old balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon minced chives, plus 1 teaspoon chopped chives for garnish
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 slices brioche, toasted
- 4 teaspoons aioli
- 1 tablespoon micro greens, or any lettuce sprout
- 1 tablespoon chive oil, for garnish, optional
- 1 tablespoon beet juice, for garnish, optional
In a large saute pan, heat the canola oil over a medium-high flame. Season the buster crabs with 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Season the flour with salt and pepper and combine with the cornmeal in a shallow dish or large bowl. Toss crabs in the mixture to coat. Carefully place the crabs into the hot oil and cook for 1 minute on each side. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
Meanwhile, season the tomatoes with salt, pepper, vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon chives, and olive oil. Place the tomatoes over the toasted brioche croutons and place on a serving plate. Place drained crabs over the tomatoes and top each of them with a dollop of aioli. Place micro greens or any lettuce sprout on top of aioli.
To serve, garnish plate with additional chopped chives, chive oil, and beet juice, if desired.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy of Chef John Besh at Restaurant August