Rice with Chicken: Arroz con Pollo
- 1 (3 pound) chicken cut into 8 pieces, skin removed
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 cup pure Spanish olive oil
- 1 onion, small dice
- 1 green pepper, small dice
- 1 roasted red pepper, small dice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup prepared tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 12 ounces beer
- 1/2 cup sherry
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups Valencia rice, soaked in cold water for 1 hour
- 5 saffron threads
- 1 cup frozen sweet peas
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Add the onions, peppers, and garlic to the casserole. Cook until translucent. Add the tomato sauce, cumin, and bay leaf; cook for another 5 minutes. Add the chicken, wine, beer, and sherry, and cook for 5 to 8 minutes. Add the stock, bring to a boil, and adjust the seasoning. Add the drained rice and the saffron.
Bring the mixture to a boil, cover, and cook in the oven for 20 minutes.
Remove the rice from the oven and add the peas, fluffing the rice and mixing in the peas at the same time. Serve hot.
Recipe courtesy of Alex Garcia