- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold vegetable shortening, cut into bits
- 1 large egg, beaten lightly
- 2 to 3 tablespoons ice water
- 1 1/2 pounds ricotta, drained well
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup diced candied fruit
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
To make the pie crust:
Into a bowl, sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the shortening and blend until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a bowl, whisk together the egg and 2 tablespoons of the ice water. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and toss to combine, adding more water, if necessary, to form a dough. Chill the dough, wrapped in plastic, until firm.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a circle 1/8-inch thick and fit it into a 9-inch pie pan. Crimp the edge, prick the bottom, and chill while making the filling.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat the ricotta with the sugar until smooth. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla and cinnamon. Stir in the candied fruit and chocolate chips. Pour the filling into the pie shell.
Bake the pie for 45 minutes, or until just set. Let cool and chill.