- 8 cloves roasted garlic, about 1/2 head
- 8 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 ounces lemon juice
- 4 ounces tahini
- 3/4 teaspoon red savina habanero chile powder
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked chocolate habanero chile powder
- Ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cilantro, finely chopped
- Olive oil
- Pita bread
Press out roasted garlic. Place both fresh and roasted garlic into a food processor and process until finely chopped. Add chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, habanero powders, cumin, salt and pepper to taste, and a bit of cilantro if desired. Process until chickpeas reach a smooth texture. With processor running, add olive oil in a thin stream until hummus reaches the desired consistency. Taste and add salt to taste.
You may choose to hold the habanero powders out of the processing and divide the hummus into 2 bowls. Then add half of both of the habanero powders to 1 bowl and serve the other bowl mild.